If you are in SE Qld why not visit our Underwood showroom.
Pickled Beets (Pickled Beetroot)
- Cut the tops and roots off flush with the beets. Scrub thoroughly.
- Place the beets on a rack in a large roaster. Cover and bake at 200 degrees C until tender, about one hour for medium-sized beets. Meanwhile pre heat your jars in hot water.
- In a large saucepan, mix the vinegar, sugar, water and salt. Heat to boiling.
- When the beets are tender, remove the roaster from the oven and fill with cold water. When cool enough to handle, slip the skins off the beets.
- Pack the beets, whole or cut in hot jars. Add brine to cover. Leave 1.5cm headspace. Put on new lids and tighten finger tight.
- Process for 30 minutes once water has returned to the boil. (This is the boiling water bath method.)
- Cool jars. Check seals. Label and store.
See these instructions plus photographs of the steps on Valerie's Blog.